The College Alumnae Club was organized March 1910 by Mrs. Mary Church Terrell, Dr. Sara Brown, Dr. Fairfax Brown, and Miss Mary Cromwell in Washington, DC. Twenty university graduates joined elected officers and planned a program. The new Club desired to stimulate young women to attain professional excellence, to exert influence in various movements for the civic good, and to promote a close personal and intellectual fellowship among professional women.
In 1919 the Club invited the first group of university graduates, who lived outside the District, to organize. Baltimore accepted the invitation. Through the efforts of the College Alumnae Club seven branches were organized in cities where college women desired the affiliation with the founding group.
On April 6-7, 1923 representatives of the newly organized branches met in Washington, D.C. to consider the foundation of a national organization. A temporary National Association of College Women was formed. It was at the next conference on April 25-26, 1924 that the permanent organization was established and in November of that year it was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia.
On August 9, 1974 at the biennial convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the Association accepted its updated Charter and became known as the National Association of University Women (NAUW). The Association from its inception is a service and educational organization. In the beginning, the women of NAUW were proactive regarding the education of women, their living conditions on campuses, the need for a dean of women who would be an advocate for women students and the training of teachers. As the years progressed, the organization raised its voice regarding major civic and national issues such as business opportunities for African-Americans, mental health and child welfare, and the improvement of interracial and international relations.
Flushing North Shore Branch
Dr. Lenore Gall, Past National President was serving as Sectional Director at the time, recognized a need for an NAUW branch in the North Queens area. With this in mind, she reached out to exceptional and outstanding women in the area whose energy, talents and personalities matched those of the organization. On June 26, 1995, the Flushing North Shore Branch was chartered with Cheryl L. Phipps as its inaugural president.
Throughout the years, the branch has had the pleasure of partnering with many organizations including, Langston Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center, East Elmhurst Community Board 3, NYC AIDS Walk-A-Thon, and the Corona-East Elmhurst Dollars for Scholars. In support of our mission towards literacy and education, Flushing North Shore Branch annually hosts a Reading Jubilee. This event is held each February. Additionally, the branch offers workshops in financial literacy, health and wellness and estate planning throughout the year as a part of the Hilda A. Davis Workshop Series.
To date, the branch has given more than $60,000.00 in scholarships to students who have gone on to matriculate at some of the nation’s finest HBCU’s, Ivy League, and private and public institutions of learning.
In 2015, FNS celebrated the 20th Anniversary of its chartering. The black tie affair was held at Verdi’s of Westbury. During this event we celebrated our past Branch Presidents as well as individuals who have made considerable contributions in media and education.
Flushing North Shore Branch forged an alliance with Vaughn College of Aeronautics & Technology as the branch's home for its public service programs beginning in September 2014. This alliance further ensures an enduring legacy sure to benefit the North Queens community for many years to come.